Sunday, June 29, 2008

Concerts & Garbage Compacting Robots

Friday night we found our way out to Arlington Va. for a Tristan Prettyman concert at Iota. The venue was very small, quite crowded, and fashionably lit with some of last year's Christmas lights... setting the mood for a wonderful set and some slightly remixed versions of a few of the classics. Interesting side note: the girl who opened for her was an architect by day, and should probably keep that skill up. Well, she wasn't bad, but she did fail to construct any great lyrics and melodies. I am sure her short set was designed with the best of intentions, but this didnt inspire the bauhaus, and left most feeling a CADD bit bored. Wow, did I really just (Frank Lloyd) Wright two really cheesy sentences filled with bad architecture puns? Yes... it was tough, but you can thank me later.

Topping off another great summer weekend, Last night, we met a couple for dinner and a movie. Though movies viewed are usually relegated to the sidebar of the blog I felt Wall-E was important enough to make a post about. If you have not yet seen it, go now, put down the laptop, and run down to see this visionary classic. Please note: I wrote that sentence as if I was a critic who wanted my name at the start of previews... picture it now... "Run down to see this visionary classic"-Geoff & Morgan's Blog. Honestly it really was one of the best movies I have seen, and I am certain Wall-E is one of the top 5 quirkiest characters ever put on the screen (human or otherwise). Sure, he looks like Johnny 5, but this little robot is much more compelling. If given the opportunity I could easily watch another 5 hours of Wall-E preforming his day to day tasks, and at least 8 more hours of him voicing his name and attempting to say those of the supporting characters. Pixar can truly do no wrong.

The best part of the actual evening came in between dinner and the movie. While eating dinner (at approximately 8:45pm) I got a text from the AlertDC service saying that a severe thunderstorm was heading toward the District. The warning guessed that the rain would arrive at 9:00pm and subside by 10:00pm. We finished up dinner and stepp
ed outside at 8:59pm to the dry and populated sidewalk. With only a block to go, I felt we were in no immediate trouble (even though we had no umbrella). I was wrong. The storm hit at 9:00pm on the dot. A torrential downpour soon had us all soaked, and after running for one block, there was little more than a dry inch on my body, leaving us sitting wet and musky through the entire movie, though Morgan did find some creative solace in the industrial strength hand dryers.

Thanks AlertDC for such a precise analysis of the pending weather in the district, next time I will take it into consideration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is quite a weekend. I would recommend carrying an umbrella when you go out at night. We miss you guys, sounds like you are having a blast, call us.

Sid said...

sound like a fun weekend! we are going to miss you guys camping this year- it wount be the same!