Tuesday, June 19, 2012

D Day

The day before Thomas was born I had my weekly doctor visit. Everything looked great and we were right on track. Due to my complicated pregnancy, we set up a date for an induction so that my doctor would be able to better control the situation. We set the date for March 24th (my due date), which was in one week. I had my last day at work the day before so I figured I had a whole week to finish up the things I needed to, and go shopping for the last minute necessities I didn't get from my showers. Since I thought I had some time, after my appointment, I drove out to spend the day with my dad (who was in the hospital with pancreatitis). I had been having contractions for weeks, but nothing consistent or painful - just a little uncomfortable. As I was sitting in the hospital room with my dad and sister Jamie, she noticed I was having contractions and told me I should be timing them. I didn't think anything of it but started timing them. They were very inconsistent and ranged anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes apart. By the time I left the hospital that night, they had gone away. I woke up at about 5:00 am not feeling that great and was running to and from the bathroom (thinking I was going to puke). My mom had been sick the day before so I was sure I had caught something from her. I managed to fall back asleep and was able to sleep in a bit. Geoff and I were being lazy and just taking our time waking up and laying in bed talking. He noticed me breathing through some contractions and told me I should start timing them since the seemed really close together. I started timing them and none of them were more than 5 minutes apart. He looked at me and said, "Are we having a baby today?" I was sure we weren't so I kind of blew him off, but he told me he was going to get showered and ready just in case. I decided to get up and move around to see if I could slow down or stop the contractions. I showered, ate breakfast, and by the time I was doing my hair, I could barely hold up the blow dryer because every time I did, another contraction would start (and they were becoming increasingly painful). I decided to call my mom to get her opinion. While I was on the phone with her she helped me breathe through a couple contractions. She told me to call my doctor and to keep her posted. I called my doctor and left her a message. By this time, I was on all fours and Geoff was rubbing my back through the contractions. I decided we really needed to go to the hospital. So off we went. I was very nervous that we would walk in and the nurses would laugh at me because I wouldn't have progressed at all and they would send me home - boy was I wrong. I had to stop several times on the way in to the hospital to breathe through contractions. Some lady even asked if there was anything she could do for us in the elevator! We checked in to the Maternity ER and when they checked me and I was at a 6 and 100% effaced! They told us we were having a baby that day! My Labor and Delivery nurse came in to walk me down to my room, and by the time we got there and they checked me again, I was at an 8. Geoff called my mom and she was on her way.
Then my sisters Sid and Linds called and asked if they could come. I was just hoping my doctor would make it in time. By the time I had the epidural, I was at a 10 and ready to push. They assured me my doctor was just parking her car and would be in in a few minutes. I remember looking at the clock when she walked in and it was 4:10. I pushed through 3 contractions and Thomas was born at 4:27pm.
Both Geoff and I immediately started crying when we saw him. I couldn't believe he was finally here. My mom got to cut the cord, and he was here - beautiful and healthy. My sisters had been cheering for me behind the curtain the whole time. It was awesome to have so many supporters there.
To be honest, the worst part of my recovery was that I developed a spinal headache. The doctors weren't convinced that's what it was at first so they kept trying different drugs, ice packs, and heat. It was awful. I felt totally disconnected for the first three days. When I called my doctor the day after we got home to tell her it wasn't better, she sent me immediately back up to the hospital for a blood patch. It instantly took away my pain and I finally felt like a human again! Other than that I felt great and recovered quite quickly.
Being home with Thomas was wonderful. I couldn't believe it had taken us so long to get him here, and that here he was...finally.

1 comment:

Alexis Poelman said...

I love a good baby story, thanks for sharing. So happy for you guys. He is so so SO stinking cute, I hope we get to meet him someday soon.