If you have never been to the National Gallery of Art, you should go. If you do choose to go, you should check the hours before you spend way more time in the modern wing than you would have, had you known that the museum closed in a mere hour.We learned more than we wanted to know about lithographing, wondered how a guy who merely drew a mustache on a news paper clipping of the Mona Lisa deserved a spot on a wall in a museum, and witnessed a man warming up for a 5k in one of the upper rooms of the East Wing. It was quite the experience. Unfortunately we spent too much time in one corner of the huge museum to see any of the photo exhibit that we went to see, before we even got to it the bells were ringing and we were sent on our way. The highlight was seeing some of Picasso's cubism paintings, the one to the right was there, and was our favorite. The name of it is Nude Woman, so far as I can tell it was done tastefully. It is 6 feet tall and relatively narrow, when you come out here we will have to take you to see it... note...that is an open invitation, don't feel obliged.
We went from the museum to Arlington National Cemetery, it was beautiful. If you have never felt patriotic, you should really try visiting these grounds. The weather was nice, so we spent quite a while walking around. Morgan said that last time she was here it was with her dad, and was 3490 degrees kelvin, so I guess we lucked out last night. Speaking of Dad's, you were right about Robert E. Lee getting screwed out of the nicest estate in this area.
Now, I am not too familiar with the story of this statue, I know that this was based on a photo that was taken, and that the photo was actually taken the second time they raised the flag, but since I haven't read too much about this, and haven't seen the Clint Eastwood movie I won't try to explain much more. This is the most impressive statue that I have ever seen, I think that the only one that rivals this one is Abe Lincoln, but he just kind of sits around, so these guys win. I took this picture for you to see, then I thought of how ironic it was that I was taking a picture of a statue of a picture... if that didn't confuse you go rent Primer. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this picture, if you would prefer one with us in it you are in luck...
The one of me includes a view of the other side so that you can see detail, you are welcome. It really is pretty incredible, I think that if I were to be made into a statue I would want to be posed in this sort of a pose, either that, or dunking a basketball like The Mailman. That was a sarcastic ending to a sentance, free of charge.
We hope everyone continues enjoying the Labor Day weekend, please think of us as you eat hamburgers. That is all.
4 comments:
What a great post. Geoff sounds like a riot. It's fun hearing about your adventures. The years Nathan and I were married with no kids were SO fun. Of course kids are great its just a different phase of life. Glad to hear you are enjoying yours! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's a great way to keep in touch with family- I love the blog thing. Do Lindsay or Jamie have one?
Um- could you (Geoff) be any more of a geek. If people don't know you very well they would think you were cookoo!! Your blog is quite entertaining. You guys look like you are enjoying the sites. Hope you miss us, we don't miss you. Just kidding. Of course we do. Ella is going into withdrawls we might have to put her in counseling. Love you!
WOW!!! Your feeble attempts at a little style and class on your "blog" are laughable!!! I find the whole mess VERY shallow and pedantical.... Try again!!!!!
haha.. looks like someone isn't digging your style... Its good to see you guys on here. Hope DC is treating you well.
Post a Comment